Monday, May 25, 2015

Week of May 25 2015: Faith

Hey friends and love ones, 


Well, my beautiful trio has come to an end. Hermana Recinos has officially reached 18 months, and is going home on Tuesday. We've been really anxious to know if we have changes, but they called us last night and said that Hermana Kimball and I are staying in Santa Caty!!!! But then I checked my email today and I had a letter from our mission president titled 'A Sacred Calling..' which means I will be TRAINING a new missionary. I'm going to be a mom! Everyone in the room with me when I read my email cheered for me. We'll see how it goes. 

Last week, I wrote about Qaini, and his miraculous baptism we were going to have. He was doing really well until Thursday, when he was supposed to have his baptismal interview, and he didn't come, and he didn't come, and he didn't come. We waited at the church and called him until 9, when we had to go home. We were'nt really sure what happened, but we talked to him later that night and he said he was 'confused.' We were all pretty discouraged, but we were trying to keep the faith. He surprised us by coming to church on Sunday, and when we talked to him after that, he told us he was ready to be baptized this coming Saturday. We'll see what happens, but we have faith in him. 

On Friday, we had the opportunity to take our recent converts to the temple. We've been working with them all month to help them prepare their family history so they could take their own names to the temple, and it was a very, very special experience. Astrid, my favorite convert ever, was feeling the Spirit SO strongly that she was sobbing the entire time. We're very lucky that we have the temple so close to us, and that it's in our mission. There are a lot of statistics that show that converts fall away from the church between baptism and going to the temple, and that if they get to go to the temple soon after being baptized, they are more likely to stay firm in the church. We are lucky to have converts in this area who are truly converted, and I think generally that's why this ward is so great. The members truly are converted and have the desire to help others. 

I was reading Alma 32 this week, and found a scripture I like that describes the conversion process as I've seen it in the mission: 

38 But if ye neglect the tree, and take no thought for its nourishment, behold it will not get any root; and when the heat of the sun cometh and scorcheth it, because it hath no root it withers away, and ye pluck it up and cast it out.
So if we only begin to build a testimony but stop nourishing it, we won't be able to hold on when the times become difficult. BUT in Alma 33, it says, 
 23 And now, my brethren, I desire that ye shall plant this word in your hearts, and as it beginneth to swell even so nourish it by your faith. And behold, it will become a tree,springing up in you unto everlasting life. And then may God grant unto you that your burdens may be light,through the joy of his Son. And even all this can ye do if ye will. Amen.


So keep that in mind this week. Never cease to nourish your faith. 

Love, 
Hermana Campbell



No comments:

Post a Comment