Sunday, May 17, 2015

Week of May 11 2015: Guatemalan Rain

As the days and weeks go by, and I realize that my mission is going faster than I thought it would, the things that stick out in my mind vary from events of huge spiritual significance to moments of pure, childish happiness. Such as:
1) We got caught in the Guatemalan rain, which eventually came up to our ankles and left us soaking wet, and completely alone in the street. 
2) We found three investigators who accepted a baptismal date in the same day. 
3) Our comedor gave us burritos for lunch! (well, 'burritos.' they tried.)
4) Carolina got baptized, and after coming out of the water, proceeded to weep, while the bishop held her and told her she was okay. 
5) My companion found 50 quetzales on the ground, and bought us all the Guatemalan snacks we desired (Mamuts, Pinguinos, Tortrix, Taqueritos, etc.).
6) I got to skype with my family (despite the unnecessary amount of background noise). 
7) A family in my first area sent me a jar of peanut butter, because they know how much I love it.
8) In a lesson I was testifying of the Book of Mormon, and the Spirit testified to me very strongly that it's true. 

It's hard not to think about time, especially because one of my companions, Hermana Recinos, finishes her mission in two weeks. She keeps telling us how fast time goes, and that we have to take advantage of every moment. I definitely feel the time moving, and we run out of hours every day and we run out of days every week. I feel as if I just entered the field, and I'm coming up on the 8th month mark of my mission. All I can say is that there's nothing in the world like being a missionary--it's completely insane, and awkward, and weird (street contacting, bugging members to come out with you, calling people on Sunday morning to wake them up to come to church), but at the same time, it's the happiest I've ever been. 

Life isn't easy, and more than any other time in my life, I've been exposed to people's problems and hardships and things I never even imagined anyone would have to deal with. At the same time, I know that if we keep our vision placed singly on the glory of God, all the rest doesn't matter. Nothing can take away from the divine truths taught to us by the Spirit, and I hope every one of you can remember that and act accordingly. 

I read all of King Benjamin's address this week, and I want to leave you with this (kind of overused, but a goody all the same):

Therefore, I would that ye should be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works, that Christ, the Lord God Omnipotent, may seal you his, that you maybe brought to heaven, that ye may have everlasting salvation and eternal life, through the wisdom, and power,and justice, and mercy of him who created all things, in heaven and in earth, who is God above all. Amen. (Mosiah 5:15)
Love,
Sister Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment