Friday, December 16, 2016

Week of November 16 2015: New transfer! Mini Me!

New companion, new transfer, new bug bites! We had a week full of finding, teaching, and eating free chocobananos (I don't know why, but almost everyone we visited this week decided to give us chocos...not that I'm complaining). My new comp is Hermana Juarez, who's from Canada. Her parents are from here in Central America, but it's hilarious to see the look on peoples' faces when she says she's from Canada. Of course, everyone knows I'm from the US--that's the result of my ever-blonder hair (thanks, sunshine!).
One miracle from this week was a special conference that we had in all of Guatemala yesterday, where we got to hear from Elder Bednar. He talked about the Sabbath Day, and its importance in our lives and to our salvation. The miracle was that one of our converts, whose name is Reyes, has sixty years, and is a grumpy old fart, came to church for the first time in about four months!! His dad died about two weeks ago, so that's been even harder in terms of getting him to church, but he decided to come yesterday, and he loved the conference. Heavenly Father knows what His children needs and He always helps us help them, when we have sincere desires to do so. 
I'm reading in 3 Nephi right now, and I loved what I read this morning in chapter 10. Before the appearance of Christ, His voice speaks to the Nephites, and laments 'how oft have I gathered you as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and have nourished you....yea, how oft would I have gathered you as a hen gathereth her chickens, and ye would not' (3 Nephi 10:4-5). But He goes on to promise them, 'O ye house of Israel whom I have spared, how oft will I gather you as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, if ye will repent and return unto me with full purpose of heart' (3 Nephi 10:6). 
Often, we are the ones who reject our Heavenly Father and the help our Savior Jesus Christ offer us, because we're lazy or we feel like we don't deserve it.But the promise is always there, that if we come unto Him, and truly give our hearts and consecrate all we have, He will receive us and take us in as if we had never left Him. Sometimes life is hard and things are confusing, and we all have doubts. But if we can hold on to this simple truth, the rest will fall into place. I promise. 
No cockroach updates this week, but I will send a photo of my mini-me here in Progreso. 
Love you! Keep it up. 
Hermana Shopping Mall


No comments:

Post a Comment