Friday, December 16, 2016

Week of November 9 2015: El Establo



Six weeks seems like so much time, but it truly goes by in the blink of an eye. Hermana Taps and I have seen so many miracles in this change, and I'll miss her. Here are the few of the wacky and miraculous things that happened this week:
1) On Monday, we went to a fancy restaurant in our area (the only one, I might add) called El Establo with almost all our zone. They only played ranchera music and had horse heads hanging off the wall. I ate a dish called garnachas, which are like fried tortillas topped with carmelized onions and meat, and it came with its own little bowl of pickled carrots and onion slices, which was a throwback to Beto's. They also gave me a GIANT goblet full of horchata, which was equally delightful. 
2) The next day, we had an incredible lesson with a sister in the ward and three youth we've been teaching that all came to church on Sunday. Hermana Sandra got baptized about eight years ago, and she's incredibly sassy and yells at us sometimes, but she's a great teacher of the gospel. She told us that she always wanted to be a missionary, and I told her that she already was one.
3) We had a reunion with some of the sisters under our care in Jalapa, and it was one of the sisters' birthdays, so Taps and I bought her a cake, and at the end of the meeting, the sister and her comp ran outside, and came back with an ice cream cake they had bought to celebrate Tap's birthday! So we all gorged on cake and sang 'las maƱanitas,' which is the traditional birthday song here (although they do also sing 'happy birthday' in English, which is weird. But now we just sing along with a Latino accent, because you gotta go with the flow of the masses).
4) I did divisions with Hermana Enamorado, who's in Jalapa, and we went to a really far sector of their area that she told me has always been really unsuccessful. We found nine new investigators and taught four lessons in about two hours, and she and I were both astounded. Miracles really are possible, people!
5) On Friday we had mission council, which we expected to me nothing but a long session of chicote (someone tell me if there's a good translation for that word, because I haven't found it), but it was actually incredibly spiritual and motivating. President Caffaro had us read 3 Nefi 11 together, and it helped us focus in on our purpose as missionaries, and especially us as leaders--help people come unto Christ through faith, repentance, and baptism! (To get to the cap on time, we got up at 3 and left in the bus at 4...it was fun.)
6) We were having a meeting at our branch president's house when a cockroach the size of my plaque entered the room. We all screamed and even though president stepped on its head, it still didn't die...luckily enough, because we still wanted to take a picture with it. Sweet home Guatemala. 
This week we dealt with a lot of difficulties in the lives of our members, converts, and investigators, and I found myself sharing this scripture. I may have sent it before, but a little reminder never hurts:
'Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend' (Mosiah 4:9). 
Maybe I don't know why peoples' lives have to be so hard, or why time has to go so fast, or why there are so many giant bugs here, but I'm sure that Heavenly Father knows why. And some day we will know too! Trust in Him and try to enjoy the rest. 
We'll see how this work goes, because I still get lost every time I'm in divisions in my area...but hey! The Spirit shall be my guide. 
Love yallllllllllllllllll.
Hermana Ramble


No comments:

Post a Comment